Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mushi sushi

On the way up to Alpena I  had planned to try Spiro's Greek restaurant in St.Louis. We didn't leave our city until 3 which put us in St.Louis at 11pm, with Spiro's closed. Boo. Oh well, we still have to drive back home in a couple of months, and Spiro's is still on my list.

Our second stop was Chicago. We did get to try the sushi place I chose, Seadog Sushi. I did not care for Seadog Sushi. We orderered;

(2) Dragon Rolls : shrimp tempura, unagi, avocado,   masago  cream cheese, spicy mayo, eel sauce 


and a Spicy Scallop Roll : scallop, avocado, spicy mayo, masago
and we also ordered the Shrimp Yakisoba for our son.


Seadog Sushi disappointed me. I thought that going to a city 4 times bigger than the one I am from, that the sushi would far exceed ours. I was wrong. I suppose I will start with the first roll I listed, the Dragon Roll.

The Dragon Roll was the best of the food we ordered, but that isn't saying much. The rice was warm and mushy, and the avocado had a lot of browning which is an indication of their lack of care in delivering fresh produce.


Then there was the Spicy Scallop roll. I have had better scallop rolls from a chinese buffet. This roll was bordering disgusting. The scallops were warm and seemed almost minced. They were also rolled on the inside of the roll, versus baked on the outside, which has been the way I have always seen this roll made. Another disappointment was there seemed to be more masago on the inside of the roll than there were scallops! Yuck. Really?! Masago mixed with spicy mayo and minced scallops. The only texture received with this roll, was mush.


Last, but I'm not sure if it is least than the Spicy Scallop roll, is the Shrimp Yakisoba. I thought this would be a solid order for my son. Yakisoba noodles are usually a hit with my child. NOT this time! The noodles, I am fairly certain, were no yakisoba, but lo mein. Yakisoba noodles aren't tiny, but not as big as lo mein noodles. Then the sauces had a very strong barbecue sauce flavor. It was disgusting, and none of us could eat it. Which is terrible because we usually will eat food that isn't ideal. We were raised by penny pinching baby boomers who practiced rationing.


 On the way back to Okc I plan on trying Lawrence Fish Market, and if they are terrible, then I will know Chicagoans don't know sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment